Total Pageviews

Sunday 27 November 2011

TINKER TAILOR SOLDIER SNOOZE
(MY FAVOURITE FILM REVIEW SITE ON THE WEB.)

"GARY!  GARY!  WAKE UP!"

Everyone says they don’t take any notice of what film critics say, but, in reality, we only don’t if they tend to say something bad about a film we want to see.  For example, when Iron Man got rave reviews I wanted to see it, but only because I’d made my mind up that I wanted to see it anyway . . .  Likewise Watchmen and same for Stupid Crazy Love (or is it Crazy Stupid Love?  I always get that one muddled up.)  But occasionally the critics lead us to films and when we see them we can’t help but wonder if they were watching the same film we were and the above is a good example of that.
When Tinker Tailor was coming out rave reviews were everywhere, it was almost like the critics were falling over each other to get their four or five star rating onto the sodding poster, and while I was keen to see it anyway, this wetted my appetite even further.  However after sitting through 2 and a half hours with a friend I felt like asking him if we had sat through the same film as the critics.  To say that it was far too slow, dreary and with a far too obvious villain feels like it’s something I shouldn’t say for a critically acclaimed film, but it was, and it’s not the first time I’ve been here before with both cerebral and action films.
My point is that film critics are supposed to be impartial, we want them to be like judges, BUT in that respect they are because they are only human and sometimes, they do get it wrong.  But with that in mind, with the fact that clearly there are gonna be certain films that certain critics prefer over others, wouldn’t it be good if there was a way of knowing what kind of films the critic likes so we can gauge whether the film their reviewing is a film we will like, not because of their score but also because we know the kind of filums that they are into.
And so with that in mind I urge my regular readers to take a visit to my favourite film review site, that reviews not just new films but also has covered a number of classic re-releases this year.  You might not always agree with her reviews (I know I don’t) BUT her arguments for many films is usually sound (Love the Red Riding Hood review!)  so sit back and let your fingers click the linking (what???)
It comes complete with a rating system and a list of films viewed over the last 12 months down the right hand side, so if she’s seen it, it’s there.
Enjoy folks!

http://www.selectspecs.com/blog/wp-content/uploads/2011/09/gary-oldman-glasses-tinker-tailor-soldier-spy-2.jpg

1 comment:

  1. You're the best you are! ;0D And I should point out that you won't find a review for Tinker Tailer on there because after your verdict I didn't bother seeing it!

    ReplyDelete